Return to oceanelders.org
SHARE. VOTE. DISCUSS. ACT.

What is your idea?

The Blue Movement Needs a Voice in Mainstream Media

Every idea I've seen on this page is fantastic and many merit much broader exposure. So many things we see in the media concerning the environment are either bleak, boring, or both. Why is it that when we take on big problems, we think that we have to become monks? I've been working with Fabien Cousteau to create a whole different kind of program that inspires people to really GET WITH THE PROGRAM. If we truly take all these matters seriously, then we need to get serious about making solutions more marketable. We have all of these incredible media tools today, but we are using them to peddle mindless garbage. How about showing that Smart IS Sexy and Conservation IS Cool. We are putting together an exciting new eco-adventure TV program that follows groups of 16 college students for semesters at sea on a pirate ship that uses no fossil fuels. Each show will have segments broken into SEAS: Sail, Explore, Assess, & Serve. "The Nautical Tribe" invites audiences on an adventure of activism that will inspire people from around the world to become agents of change on our blue planet. Every new anchorage will bring us face to face with some of the most difficult social and environmental challenges of our time. Our Tribe will join hands on grass root projects to work locally while adventuring globally. I am asking the Ocean Elders to bring your influence to production and distribution so that we are not having to compromise any of this project’s integrity. This next generation needs to take on heroic challenges and will need incredible mentors to send them on their way. It’s time to get back to inspiration rather than desperation. It’s time to Occupy our Oceans right into mainstream media ≈ Our site is at: http://www.nauticaltribe.com Thank You Elders!!!

6,450 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jim RizorJim Rizor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Gigi BrissonAdminGigi Brisson (Admin, Ocean Elders) responded  · 

OceanElders is currently working on high seas regulation and marine protected areas, and supporting organizations focused on those areas. It is nice to see so much support for your idea and we hope that many of the people who voted for it will step up and help you. This is the power of the community.

305 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dawn Darling RizorDawn Darling Rizor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been nearly 2 years since anyone has been allowed to vote for this proposal, and I still have to log into this site through my wife, yet this proposal is still the leader by far. That is because of countless hours of getting the word out about it and Ocean Elders -- who in turn thanked my efforts by blocking my ability to further this cause through and with them. All we wanted to suggest was that Ocean Elders become sponsors and mentors of a documented ocean expedition for young people who are trying to make a positive impact around the world. It was a good idea that should have been given audience. I garnered much support for it, and yet was put out to pasture and tucked back here on their site. What a shame as our ocean habitats continue to go into steep decline and the young people of the world are searching for ways to restore and heal from the plunder of human greed.

• Gigi BrissonAdminGigi Brisson (Admin, Ocean Elders) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have changed the status to completed. The idea has been reviewed and if it is a request to OE to participate in a particular project, and we have chosen not to do so, we consider the request completed. If the idea is about an ocean issue and we are working on that issue, we will use the community platform to update interested parties on our progress. We will be looking at other ideas as time permits and encouraging new ideas. I am not sure why the earlier comment showed as an Anonymous comment even though I had entered a user name or email address. Looks like a bug. We will have that fixed.

Posted on behalf of Jim Rizor:

A few questions:

Who is the "We" doing what "review" and why are you logged in as "Anonymous" on your own site Gigi?

AND was this review on content, or are 'We" reviewing how politically damaging it is to be a public hypocrite by effectively deleting the most popular proposal on what appears to be your public service site?

AND... If you have decided to "Focus on high seas and MPAs" then why is my Haiti proposal still deleted, and Nautical Tribe proposal one of only 2 to be declined (where it can't get more votes) while all the other 170 proposals remain up and fully functional?

AND... Why is my log in blocked on OEs site, but from the same computer, my wife log in doesn't have a problem?

This is not a Film or TV show, it is a group of people trying to effectively promote ocean related causes to genuinely engage the public, which Ocean Elders could obviously use some focus in if a public high school teacher can consistently lead your discussion forum.

Please don't think that because a person identifies problems that he or she IS the Problem... that's a 1% kind of way to handle things...

WHY NOT JUST BE FAIR WITH US AND KEEP YOUR WORD?
        It might turn out to be one of the wisest and most genuinely beautiful things you've ever done...

Thanks, Jim

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To all who voted: initially the post was flagged and removed by the spam filter. We apologize for that, but the many repeated comments and/or same comments by same individuals tripped the flag. Jim was notified of this and was told we would review it. Upon review, we released the post back into the community. At the same time, we reviewed the request to participate and chose to decline as we are focused on the high seas and MPAs this year. As you know, focus is important, and we cannot participate in every request or idea, and we have had many requests regarding films and TV shows, both on this site and via emails. Each project or idea has great merit and we would like to see each successful. Part of the community benefit is that others can see your idea and can choose to help. This community platform is new and we are working with the architects to make it better, and to make it more viral, so there are still parts of it that need work and we are working on those. We appreciate everyone's patience as we work to make it better and we appreciate everyone's hard work in helping the ocean.

My husband Jim Rizor asked me to post this as his login on the OceanElders site seems blocked:
        True Leadership is not established by being misleading. 6,450 Votes & nearly 300 Comments made The Nautical Tribe the Leading Idea out a few hundred other shared ideas to The OceanElders (and more than 4 times the votes of the next closest). THANK YOU so much for your votes, comments and support! OE's stated plan of "Share, Vote, Discuss & Act" seems however to lack in the "Act" stage with each of the proposals that has gotten OE feedback. After leading the voting and discussion for over 6 months on this site, the group's administrator reposted our idea with a "declined" status and the disappointing and non-committal statement above.

The lack of any thoughtful insight directed to our specific ideas shows that there was hardly, if any substantive review. To say that our community outcry is "nice" while NOT hearing what it is that we have to say is conveniently dismissive and clearly shows that the OE wasn't anywhere nearly the opportunity it was made out to be -- at least it isn't yet. We are not discouraged, but disappointed & we are still hopeful for the OE group. This doesn't change our knowledge of what we are fighting for or the fact that ocean protection needs to be a broad effort and coordinated strategy which includes not only numbers, but also powerful and sincere allies. We foot soldiers are still fighting the good fight while seeking out a Cavalry with some real horsepower...not just talk, wishful thinking, or CEO side-steps. We will keep our Chins Up and our Hearts Open in the hope that OE becomes what they say they are working to become. Thanks ≈ Jim Rizor

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still baffled as to why you would initially put the Blue Movement up to be nominated and then remove them! Is it that you are just another organization that has used the names of powerful people to promote your bullshit? I find this all very astounding and will no longer support anything that Ocean Elders gets involved in...no matter its importance! As they say in twitterland...#youarefullofbullshit

• Gary CurtisGary Curtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted with Pleasure...very much like the comments of Inspiration not Desperation....it is a positive step forward and i would welcome this on mainstream media.Best wishes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base