What is your idea?

Bilge Tagging

Bilge is the disgusting oily waste dispersed into the ocean from irresponsible ships at sea.
Shipping is not encouraged to offload this at onshore facilities as it is costly. Off loading should be free... and then oil and waste recycled. We should pay shipping for bilge. Problem solved.
Tagging bilge also would hold ships responsible for waste and this could be could be mandated by the international maritime organization. There is a product in development that could do this.
Funding required.
Please also see All Ships Log - my other idea....!

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Miranda Kichenside-QuinnMiranda Kichenside-Quinn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Miranda Kichenside-QuinnMiranda Kichenside-Quinn commented  · 

Lets face it the ocean is used for dumping everything! It's only because most don't see it they don't worry about it!. Now that all the plastic is floating and the trashing is undeniable things will have to change.
        I do not not know of a conservation organisation that addresses liquid pollution issues however 'bilge tagging' could be one way of making a small amount of shipping accountable for pollution and this could be 'policed by the IMO'?If there were onboard systems in place that filtered and converted waste an board this may be a step in the right direction.

You may want to check out 'Right Ship'.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Ballast and bilge water is a real problem no doubt. However, up to now I don’t see any organizations mentioning the sewage and wastewater from vessels with "legal" systems on board. The average person on a vessel generates 300 ltrs per day of wastewater. That is almost 1 cubic metre (tonne) for every 3 passengers. Many "modern" legal systems dilute the sewage at about 15:1 with seawater, thus reducing the mg/L to legal limits before pumping it overboard. These are commonly known as "dilution units" that don nothing to the bacteria or viruses, although some parts of the world allow chlorine to be added prior to discharge.
        The bottom line is that millions of tonnes of sewage are being dumped in our oceans on a daily basis and I have not found one ocean conservation organization that addresses this issue. Can Ocean Elders please assist me in my search?

Thanking you in advance,

• Miranda Kichenside-QuinnMiranda Kichenside-Quinn commented  · 

Yes there is a product in development unfortunately the details are confidential at present and of course funding and patents problematic.
        Incentive to offload bilge ashore and be compensated may be a good start to relieving this problem generally.
        Tagging will be possible in the future although this is only part of the solution.

• Trini Eco WarriorTrini Eco Warrior commented  · 

An interesting idea, but rather flimsy at this point. You mention there's a product in development to do this, but no mention of a name or where we can view it...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Once again I'm finding that my initial comment does not register, so here goes again - GOOD IDEA especially with $$$ incentive.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Yes. A good idea with a $$$ incentive.

• David QuinnDavid Quinn commented  · 

Another great idea! Make it easy for shipping to do the right thing! then they could earn good green points ( green fleet)

Feedback and Knowledge Base